Washington, D.C., was established as the capital of the United States of America on December 12, 1800.
Walt Disney (Walter Elias Disney) was born in 1901. He was an American Oscar-Emmy winning cartoonist. Disney and Ub Iwerks created Mickey Mouse in 1928, with Disney providing the voice. Disney holds the record for most Academy Awards earned by an individual, having won 22 Oscars from 59 nominations.Accessed at: http://www.thisdaytrivia.com/ on 12.05.19
Film: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937), Pinocchio (1940), Fantasia (1940), Dumbo (1941), Bambi (1942), Cinderella (1950), and Mary Poppins (1964, which earned five Oscars).
TV: The Mickey Mouse Club (1955-1996) and Walt Disney’s Disneyland (1954-, with several name changes).
Curie was not only the first woman to win a Nobel Prize, she also was the first person to win two Nobel Prizes AND the first woman to teach at the Sorbonne.Accessed on 11.7.19 at: https://thelincolnlibrary.com
National Frankenstein Friday, on the last Friday in October, recognizes author Mary Shelly, the novel Frankenstein, or the Modern Prometheus, her characters, Dr. Frankenstein and the monster. Dating back to the 1800s, Frankenstein’s monster is one of the best-known horror characters of all time.
Here are a few ideas about how to celebrate this holiday. Give one or several of them a try.
- Watch a movie featuring Frankenstein or read the original book written by Mary Shelly. Dress as Dr. Frankenstein or his monster.
- Find out who Frankenstein is on Frankenstein Friday.
- Read both editions of the book. Seek out other novels by Mary Shelley or learn about her history.
- Draw your version of Frankenstein’s monster.
- Write a poem in honor of the day. Attend a stage production of Frankenstein.
- Bake cookies in the shape of the monster.
- Conduct an electricity experiment in science class in honor of the day.
- Host a Frankenstein party. Play trivia and hand out prizes.
Information accessed on 10.25.19 from: https://nationaldaycalendar.com/national-frankenstein-friday-last-friday-in-october/