On Thursday October 5 and November 9 at 5:30 p.m., the library will present a program on accessing our Valley Memories Collection of historic photographs. Our collection consists of close to 500 photographs which have been digitized and posted to the Ohio Memory website through the Ohio History Center which is based in Columbus, Ohio. This is a work in progress as we are continually added data to the collection.
Please plan to join us as we search the website and discover images from the area’s past. The public is invited to add additional commentary to the collection through the website which can be accessed at: http://cdm16007.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/landingpage/collection/p16007coll64
This program is made possible in part from a LSTA grand awarded by the State Library of Ohio and is in collaboration with Ohio Memory through the Ohio History Center in Columbus.
The President’s FY2018 budget requested closing out all Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) operations. Librarians across the county mobilized and on July 13, 2017 the House Appropriations subcommittee that deals with library funding (Labor, Health & Human Services, Education and Related Agencies) voted to recommend level funding in FY2018 for IMLS, including $183 million for the Library Services and Technology Act. The House Appropriations Committee voted to approve the bill containing IMLS funding on July 19. Although this is very encouraging, these are only two steps in the congressional appropriations process.
FY18 federal library funding is not yet guaranteed. It is therefore imperative that librarians stay informed and continue to advocate for
federal funds. The attached poster illustrates how federal LSTA funds are used in Ohio. We encourage you to share this information with your staff and constituents.
As more information regarding the federal budget is available the State Library will be sharing information with Ohio libraries.
Download the File (PDF, 1010KB)
Eclipse Viewing Party
Co sponsored by the Conversation Station
Monday, Aug 21st from 11:30 till 4:30
- PLEASE BRING BLANKETS OR LAWN CHAIRS AS SEATING WILL BE AT A MINIMUM
- Free Eclipse Viewing Glasses!
- Peak viewing time will be around 2:00
- Free Food, Crafts and Activities
- Learn about the Eclipse and our Solar System
- Open to everyone in the community
- Drone Giveaway!
Join us May 16th for our last installment of the 3 part series “Seeing the World through the Eyes of a Globe-trotting Scientist.”
Board Member Dave Orndoff will be presenting a 3 part series on his travels in Singapore and Taiwan, England, Western Europe and Croatia, and Columbia, Venezuela, The Caribbean (Virgin Is. and Curacao), North America incl. Newfoundland.
Part 1 – Singapore and Taiwan — March 22 5:00 pm to 6:30 pm at GVPL
Part 2 – England, Western Europe and Croatia — April 8th – 10:00 am to 11:30 am
Part 3 – Columbia, Venezuela, The Caribbean (Virgin Is. and Curacao), North America incl. Newfoundland. May 16th from 5:00 pm to 6:30 pm
About Dave Orndoff:
- Retired Dec, 2015 after 44 years as a research scientist and chemical engineer in the oil refining and petrochemical industries worldwide.
- Professional Focus: specialized in research & development of new catalysts required to produce environmentally clean fuels. Served as international technical director. Holds several patents in the research specialty.
- Resides on Hollowview Farm in Windsor Township with wife Vicki, 9 horses, 5 dogs, a rabbit and a pot-bellied pig.
- Member of Grand Valley Ruritans, The Native Plant Society and serves on the GVPL Board of Trustees. Volunteers with The Nature Conservancy. Interested in visual arts and the natural world.
If severe knee or hip pain is taking a toll on your life, join us April 27th for this upcoming seminar on arthritis and joint pain. Patrick Hergenroeder, M.D., will present treatment options, including medication, therapy, and minimally invasive hip and knee replacement surgery. Be sure to bring your questions.
When: Thursday, April 27 • 5 p.m.
Where: Orwell Grand Valley Public Library
1 N. School Street, Orwell, OH
To register for this free program, visit VCPrograms.net or call 800-679-3606.